We are Global
We're proud to be one of the world's leading media and entertainment groups. Whether it be on-air, via global player or through our outdoor advertising, we entertain and reach over 50 million individuals across the UK every week.
Across our entire business, we're committed to making more moments that matter for our audiences, customers and for each other. And every moment matters…the small, the big and everything in between. We couldn't do any of it without our talented, passionate Globallers. Everything we do is driven by our culture and the talented people who make it happen.
Here at Global, we have a saying…it's all about how you make people feel. It's our company ethos, our guiding belief and it's so much more than words. It's the vibe you get when you walk into one of our offices, it's what keeps us honest and true to who we are, and above all, it's the reason we all love to work here.
Python Developer (Backend Developer) - London or Glasgow Reporting of the Role
This role reports to the Technical Lead Overview of job
We're looking for a multi-skilled, adaptable developer with a passion for high quality code to join our established development team. 3 best things about the job
Measures of success - In the first few months, you would have:
- Getting to work on some outstanding products that deliver content to over 30 million people!
- Work in a team that this is a fun, creative and satisfying place for developers to work!
- Work in a team where we believe in code reviews, paired programming, continuous integration, hack time and investing in developers to make them better.
Responsibilities of the role
- Contributed to delivering phenomenal solutions for delivering the latest innovations to our digital products.
- Demonstrated a collaborative approach to delivering solutions.
- Shown passion to learn new things and to share knowledge with others.
- Followed sound architectural and software engineering principles in your solutions.
What you will need
- You will be working on developing internal editorial and content systems that feed all our public-facing products, including all our mobile apps, and our many radio brand websites.
The ideal candidate will be proactive and willing to develop and implement innovative solutions, capable of the following:
- A multi-skilled developer who is happy to step out of their comfort zone and learn new technologies.
- Strong commercial development experience using Python.
- A strong grasp of OOP fundamentals and the use of RESTful APIs.
- Familiarity with VCS, preferably Git.
- Experience with working in a sociable, cross-functional team.
- A dedication to testing - experience of writing and maintaining unit tests; mocking frameworks and an enthusiasm for test-driven development.
- Experience of working with relational database systems and ORM frameworks.
- Understanding of the importance of Continuous Integration.
Bonus points if you tick any of the following boxes...
Everyone is welcome at Global
- Experience working with Django or Flask.
- Experience scaling web systems to cope with millions of users.
- Experience of agile practices.
- Familiarity with ElasticSearch or other Lucene-based search servers
- Experience with GraphQL.
- Experience with using Docker in your development process.
- Familiarity with Kubernetes.
Just like our media and entertainment platforms are for everyone, so are our workplaces. We know that we can't possibly serve our diverse audiences without first nurturing and celebrating it in our people and that's why we work hard to create an inclusive culture for everyone. We believe that different will set us apart, so no matter what you look like, where you come from or what your favourite radio station is, we want to hear from you.
Although we cannot make guarantees, we welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at Global