Main purpose of role
Charleston is looking for a talented and experienced Head of Development who will raise vital funds that support the strategic and operational priorities of the trust, expanding philanthropic engagement from individuals, trusts & foundations, and public funders. This is an excellent time to join Charleston as we continue to develop plans for Charleston in Lewes and as we explore opportunities for legacies, endowments and international fundraising to permanently safeguard the house and collection.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and lead the overall fundraising strategy for Charleston to ensure fundraising targets are met for the annual programme and major projects.
- Plan, coordinate, and execute an ambitious fundraising programme which builds our supporter base and individual funding streams.
- Identify and cultivate relationships with major donors, foundations, and corporate partners.
- Implement effective stewardship programs to maintain strong relationships with existing donors and encourage ongoing support.
- Manage the Board of Trustees and Senior Management Team's relationships with supporters, ensuring that they are fully informed and briefed and their time is used effectively.
- Track and report on the delivery of fundraising targets to the Director/CEO and Director of Finance.
- Work together with Finance to ensure the safe, efficient and timely processing of all income, and its accurate recording, reporting and acknowledgement.
- Ensure that the fundraising work of Charleston is fully compliant with up-to-date statutory policies and best practices within the sector.
- Lead the Development team to deliver the Charleston's objectives, in line with the Forward Plan and strategic vision for the trust, reporting to and working closely with the Director and Trustees.
- Line manage and develop, in accordance with Charleston's policies and appraisals procedures, the following staff: One direct report (Development Manager)
- One indirect report (Development Coordinator)
- Advocate for Development across the organisation to champion fundraising for exhibitions, learning activities, projects and other initiatives, developing new giving propositions where appropriate.
- Ensure that income from visitors in maximised, with support from the Marketing and Communications team and Front of House teams, move every customer on to their next step of supporter journey.
- To work in accordance with The Charleston Trust's aims, objectives and values To work in accordance with all The Charleston Trust's policies and procedures To work flexibly to best meet the needs of the organisation Attend events and play an active part in the creative life of Charleston
- Proven experience in a senior development role, demonstrating a track record of successful project delivery.
- A relationship builder, someone who can manage a pipeline of high net worth individuals and trusts & foundations engaging them regularly through face-to-face meetings.
- Excellent project management skills, including prioritising tasks and managing resources effectively.
- Strong communication skills, with attention to detail and the ability to represent the organisation and present its aims to stakeholders.
- Experience of CRM database.